Monday, December 14, 2009

June, December, whatever...

Yeah, so, six months have gone by without a blog entry. Mea culpa and all. Much has happened since then, a thrilling tale of Vikings, ninjas, manuscripts, and Michael Bay-esque explosions and other various and sundry special effects.




Academia




First, the book chapters were submitted, and I've been in contact with the editor ever since. That manuscript is in a form with which we're both happy, but we'll see what Open Court Press has to say. The other is lost in an editorial black hole. I expect to hear back from him sometime before the Mayan Calendar finishes and Carrot Top finally kills us all and/or the Zombie Apocalypse occurs. Either way, you'll need a shotgun and a blunt object. A third book chapter is due next month, so naturally I'm writing a blog entry instead. In all fairness, I've been reading about the legal history of the Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses in the First Amendment and the wranglings about how to properly define "religion" in that context, and it is just as thrilling as it sounds. So I'll be sure to extend my research onto Facebook and see if Mafia Wars has a solution to the issue.



Second, the semester is over, and grading was, as always, a little less fun than involuntary eye surgery, but it is over and done with. The new semester doesn't start for another month, so I'm back in Pittsburgh relaxing as much as is possible during a working vacation. This semester involved teaching an overload, thanks to Todd Furman's laziness, which he chooses to define as a sabbatical to write a book, elevate his house to prevent future flooding damage, and take care of his family. Whatever. I've seen the Xbox in his office, and I know the sound of tapping on the controller for Guitar Hero. Where he got Guitar Hero: Barry Manilow, I have no idea.



Third, I started training in Tae Kwon Do again, which was on hold since my senior year of college. I have my Black Belt exam in February, for which I have to break a two-inch thick concrete block. With my hand. Which is not normally designed for such activities, and threatens to put a serious damper on my social life. Plus there's the whole "relearning everything from white through brown belt" - it sounds worse than it is, but it will still be challenging.



Fourth, the social life is interesting, as always. There was a near miss that is still unresolved with a local in Lake Charles, a second possibility in the wings, histrionic calls from a quasi-ex back in Pittsburgh, and I ran into an ex today while on my way to the Apple store. It seemed to be uncomfortable all around, which was probably to be expected. But there are some people that are just poison to us - like heroin, it feels good when you are using, but you know it is bad for you, and you are better off without it. It's hard not to pick up, but gets easier with time, especially with the knowledge that it's way too easy to fall back into the same bad habits.

Fifth, some friends and I have started a photography business: Aegis Imagery. We'll see what happens.

Last, it looks like the Chatham teaching may have run its course. The classes I normally teach are mainstays of a program that is going the way of the dodo, so it's unclear whether I'll have any graduate courses, which will be both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, I'll be losing a source of income that was a nice supplement to the McNeese check. On the other hand, I'll be teaching a normal courseload and will have more free time. I'll be checking with the folks at Point Park to see if they're interested in having me teach online courses for them, just in case.

So fun all around. With any luck, I'll be able to have some semblance of normalcy in posting here in the coming weeks.

Alles Gute.

No comments: